And now, introducing exclusively for Comet 2006 users....
As you know, extended keyed files always have the key information in the record.
Multi-keyed files are extended keyed files that can also have sub keys embedded in the record.
This eliminates the need for you (the programmer) to maintain all those key-only files just
so you can quickly read your data files in alternate order. The file system does all the work for you!
Internet Basic Enhancements for Multi-Keyed Files:
- A new CreateKey
statement is used to create the sub keys for a multi-keyed file.
- A new version of the Open statement is used to open the file for reading in sub key order.
- A new KeyStat function may be used to get the properties of the sub keys.
The QDIRcache is a memory copy of the qdir entries for each file in a Comet directory. The
cache is built when the first user of a directory logs in. The qdir on disk is only accessed
if a new file is created, a file is erased, or a change is made to the attributes of a file.
Other qdir functions such as accessing a file's attributes when it is opened are performed
from the cache.
The advantages are twofold:
- Performance improvement: File server operations that previously required
reading the qdir from disk now can access the information from memory.
- No more sharing violations: Because the qdirs do not remain open continuously
you are now able to access your Comet folders from outside Comet without having to stop the file server.
This means you can perform that daily backup or install the latest UTL release more conveniently.
Faster WinSock Gateway
The WinSock gateway is now much faster. A system-enforced pause of 5 seconds was
able to be reduced to 1 tick. This will definitely speed up your WinSock applications
such as sending email from Comet.
And, speaking of sending email from Comet... Now the Email Printer is able to send
email from smtp servers that require authentication. You specify the
user name and password in the Email.ini file.
Free XAP for the local host
Now you can develop and test XAP applications before you buy the license. You are
restricted to talking only to the local host at 127.0.0.1.
Comet as a Service
Comet 2006 can be installed as a windows service.
- This is especially useful for those workstations used as eComet or CometAnywhere Hosts.
- You must be running Windows NT (no W98, please).
- Durring the installation process you will be asked where the Comet Services are installed, where Comet itself is to be installed and which Comet Profile name should be used to launch Comet.
- When the workstation boots, Comet will automatically run with the specified profile.
- It is not necessary to log into the workstation in order to reach Comet services such as XAP or CometAnywhere.
Comet 2006 features require CFAM and CometServe32 version 6.01 or higher.
Comet 2006 will continue support for Windows 98SE workstations. This support will be dropped in Comet 2007.